- You are NOT your family.
- Your past does NOT define you.
- You get to choose your own adventures.
- You are in control of your happiness.
- Follow your gut.
Being lost somewhere in between a teenager and a successful adult can be terrifying. Realizing that you can actually survive without the people you thought you couldn’t live without is extremely eye opening. Feeling alone in a room full of people who love you is beyond frustrating.
Life is weird, man! Super weird! Whoever came up with the phrase “this rollercoaster we call life” is genius. I daily feel like I don’t know what I’m doing. I question purpose. I feel like I should be doing so much more. I sit at home alone and just think “Well, now what..?!” and then I just get mad at myself.
So let’s revisit this list..
- You are NOT your family. – This doesn’t mean you were raised wrong or that you hate your family. This just means that while your siblings have their own families and your parents are having this new “empty-nesters” lifestyle, you’re just kind of like, “What the hell should I be doing??” Get out there and take advantage of life! Go for a walk. Go explore the city. Don’t feel bad for doing things that you like or having your own opinions or beliefs! This is YOUR life and it’s really just now beginning. Choose happiness.
- Your past does NOT define you. – Everyone has a past. It got you to where you are today. Stop living life like you’re stuck there. Every day is a new opportunity to do something exciting. So you have a story.. So does everyone else on the planet. Stop playing victim to yourself. Get up, brush yourself off, and life your life before you waste it away by living in your past.
- You get to choose your own adventures. – You’re now at the point where you realize you don’t need permission to go out and do things. If you want to take a random road trip, do it. If you want to get a tattoo, do it. If you want to go for a walk at 2am, do it. This is YOUR life. YOU get to choose the adventures you go on. That’s the amazing part.
- You are in control of your happiness. – You are in control of your life. Stop waiting for happiness to come to you. Go out there and find it. Go out there and make it your own. You only get one life, don’t waste it.
- Follow your gut. – Your parents raised you right. You know what’s good and what’s bad. That being said, follow your gut. Do what makes you happy. If you feel that uncertainty inside you, trust it. If you feel like something isn’t right, trust it. Live your life but don’t be stupid.
Sometimes you need to start typing out your thoughts and then you end up making a list for yourself. Maybe I’m not the only one who needs to hear this.
Until next time…